Question:
What is the REAL expiration date on my milk and eggs?
puttopal
2005-11-29 12:17:53 UTC
My milk has a "Sell By" date. That's all very well and good, but how long after the "Sell By" date can I safely drink it? And my eggs just have a date stamped on them. Is that an "Eat By" date? What if I eat them the day after the date?
One answer:
Tony Q
2005-11-30 22:08:18 UTC
For most products with a Sell-By date, they can be safely eaten up to 7 days after the Sell-By date. The exceptions are beef/pork (3-5 days), and poultry, seafood, or ground meats (2 days).

Eggs and yogurt on the other hand carry an Expiration date. These items should not be used after that date. If you eat the item after that date, you may be exposing yourself to bacteria or other pathogens.