Question:
Why are my potatoes leaking?
Dawn
2011-07-23 04:47:09 UTC
Okay so, the best way to describe it is that one of my red potatoes leaked white foamy stuff and some sort of red liquid it smells rancid like a fishy smell. My entire kitchen smells to high hell now. Please help, tell me why this has happened.
Five answers:
Sunil
2011-07-23 04:56:17 UTC
Two things have happened here.

1) The potatoes were harvested early. They were not matured enough. As a result, the outer part of the flesh is okay, but the inner part is still hard. The boiling of these types of potatoes leaves it hard and not good for eating.

2) After harvesting, they have not been stored properly. Potatoes should be kept in a clean cool environment, where air circulates and should even then be preferably consumed within a period of two weeks. When immature potatoes are kept wrongly for a long period, the inner part starts to ferment and believe me when I say, you don't want to be near it when the smell comes out.

Get rid of the potatoes, apply some Milton water to the floors and tiles of the kitchen, then aerate the environment for at least 12 hours each day. It will take about a week to clear, but under no circumstances should you use an air freshner spray or evaporator. It might just make the combination worse for you.

Good luck.

Hope that helps.
ckngbbbls
2011-07-23 06:37:07 UTC
you have a rotten potato. No big deal. It probably got bruised when harvested.

No you do NOT have to throw them all. Pick through your potatoes and throw the ones that are also rotten.

Clean the bin or drawer they were in.

When you buy a bag of potatoes, sniff the bag. Sometimes there is one in there already getting bad and you can smell it. Look all over the bag for any wet spots. If so, do not buy that bag of potatoes.
schuller
2016-10-15 10:14:58 UTC
Potato & Leek Soup A device Shed eating place popular factors 3 Qt. hen inventory 3/4 Qt. 2% Milk 3/4 Qt. heavy cream a million medium onion, diced 3 ribs celery diced a million lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and diced. 3 T. butter 5 T. flour a million leek 3 C. Kale*, Julienne a million bay leaf a million tsp. floor celery seed 2 cloves garlic, minced salt and white pepper to flavor technique soften the butter in a inventory pot. upload the onions, celery and garlic sauté till somewhat comfortable. upload the flour, making a roux. cook dinner for 5 minutes. upload the bay leaf and hen inventory. Whip in a well timed fashion till comfortable and creamy. upload the potatoes and simmer till the potatoes cook dinner right into a mush. eliminate from the type and puree in a food processor, in small batches, till comfortable. return to the type and upload the leeks, kale and celery seed. warmth the milk and cream and upload to the soup. Stirring with a wood spoon. Salt and Pepper to flavor and serve.
2011-07-23 04:51:16 UTC
It just sounds like your potatoes have gone bad...they're rotten.

Rotten potatoes smell terrible!! Just toss them in a trashcan outside and go buy new ones.
Julia
2011-07-23 04:49:11 UTC
clearly they are manky and gone off, you have to throw them all in the bin as they will all be minging