Question:
does anyone know what is in spam?
2009-04-21 10:27:38 UTC
The other day at stater bros, me and my mom walked past the spam and I picked one up to see the ingredients and there was nothing there !
And my mom said 'they don't know what's in it either' haha

So yeah I'm just wonderin
Five answers:
CheddarCheese
2009-04-21 10:35:41 UTC
The primary ingredient in Spam is chopped pork shoulder meat mixed with ham. About 90% of Spam is pork from a pig's shoulders. The remaining 10% (or so) comes from the pig's buttock and thigh, better known as ham. This ratio varies according to ham and pork prices. The U.S. Department of Agriculture does not permit any nonmeat fillers in lunchmeat, nor does it allow pig snouts, lips, or ears. The second ingredient is salt, added for flavor and for use as a preservative. Also, a small amount of water is used to bind all ingredients together. Sugar is also included for flavor. Finally, sodium nitrate is added to prevent botulism and acts as a preservative as well. It is the sodium nitrite that gives Spam its bright pink color—without it, Spam would discolor and become brown.

http://www.answers.com/topic/spam-1
JennyP
2009-04-21 17:55:32 UTC
Spam has a bad reputation for being "mystery meat" but, other than being laden with sodium, is primarily a pork dish. It's very popular in Hawaii and can be sliced and browned as you would bacon or sausage. Grind it up and mix it with mayonaise, chopped onion, celery and pickles and you have a great "ham" salad". I grew up with spam and love it from time to time. I was glad to see that they came up with a lower sodium version!
msjantastic
2009-04-21 17:38:44 UTC
The FDA made it a law that the ingredients must be posted on all products sold in our groceries. So if you live in the US read the label...it is there. Maybe you forgot to bring your glasses?
Amanda D
2009-04-21 17:50:33 UTC
Check out www.spam.com

You'd be amazed at the different recipes there are for spam.

Growing up we ate it fried with mac n cheese. Won't touch the stuff now, but then again my mother couldn't boil water.
like my "cow lick"?
2009-04-21 17:32:25 UTC
there's ingredients.. you'll find it's packed full of remains goodness fortified with chemicals.

the only thing it doesn't have is vitamins and minerals.