Question:
Does anyone remember a candy called "Bonkers" in the '80's?
2006-12-05 14:38:05 UTC
I grew up in Washington State, and about 1985 / '86, when I was 6, I remember commercials for a candy called "Bonkers." If I recall correctly, it was kind of like fruit taffy with a chocolate center, or something like that. It's all sort of vague by now. Does anyone else remember it? For nostalgia's sake, please refresh my memory with any info you have, such as, Do they still make it and sell it anywhere?
Eleven answers:
Slightlynorth
2006-12-05 14:49:52 UTC
Oh I loved those!!!

Bonkers was a candy offering from Nabisco in the mid 1980s. It consisted of chewable bubblegum-shaped candies with a fruity outside and an even fruitier filling. The candy came in a large rectangular package with several of them individually wrapped. Common flavors included grape, orange, strawberry, watermelon and chocolate.

The product is perhaps most memorable for a series of television commercials in which one or more apparently uptight characters would take one bite of a Bonkers candy, and a giant fruit such as a bunch of grapes would fall from above and knock them into hysterical laughter. The tagline in the commercials was "Bonkers! Bonks ya out!"[1]

After the commercials stopped running, the popularity of Bonkers waned until it became a rarity, available only in novelty candy stores. The manufacturer has discontinued the Bonkers line of candies.
fiestytxchic
2006-12-05 14:55:22 UTC
Bonkers

Back in the eighties Nabisco had a candy called Bonkers, which were fruit chews similar to Starbursts ... except they were layered. It was a fruity chew with a fruitier chewier center.

If you need a reminder of what they were, watch the commercial from the eighties I found on YouTube.

If you are jonsing the wonderful taste that will warp you to a much simpler time then try Mamba. If that doesn't sate your fancy you could try http://www.groovycandies.com they have a nice variety of of decade specific delights.

But unfortunately (sniff sniff) Bonkers is no longer in production.
?
2016-05-23 02:12:26 UTC
Yep I watched Jem, and got the episodes on DVD for my best friend when they came out in 2004. There was some kind of licensing issue and now they dont make them anymore. You can buy them on Ebay but they are priced quite high. They were only like $30 for each set when they came out in the stores (just to give you an idea of the price mark up if you decide to buy them).
?
2017-02-23 14:29:51 UTC
Grape Bonkers Candy
geekieintx
2006-12-05 14:52:45 UTC
yes i do..and they use to be delicious...first it was a sour taste then you got to the inside and it was a sweet.....but alas...it has been discontinued :o( to be made no more

found a website where you can see packaging and watch old commercials

http://candyaddict.com/blog/2006/06/19/retro-flashback-bonkers-fruit-chews-bonks-you-out enjoy :o)
michrfoster
2006-12-05 15:00:50 UTC
I used to love Bonkers. "Bonkers Bonks you out!"

Unfortunately, they are discontinued. There's this cool website where you can buy retro candy and they don't even have it.

http://candy-crate.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
Selly
2006-12-05 14:42:24 UTC
Yah they had a darker center didn't they I think I remember grape or something purple anyways.
Wiked
2006-12-05 14:44:02 UTC
Bonkers were awesome... I would love to find them... I'll have to check Target...
?
2006-12-05 14:41:52 UTC
Yes I loved those! They were kinda like Starbust color& texture but square and a different color inside

Do you also remember sweet nothings?
bartman40467
2006-12-05 14:44:18 UTC
1 Yep I remember them

2 no they don't make them any more

3 www.answers.com/topic/bonkers-candy check this site!
Jason
2006-12-05 14:38:57 UTC
Yes, they still make them too. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Target..